Saturday, July 25, 2009

Helping others

During my job search, I've had to do some soul searching about what it is I really want to do. I've looked back on what I've really enjoyed doing over the years. I'm a Project Manager. People are ask me what I do and I sometimes struggle to explain my job to someone who is not technical. I've come to the realization that my job is to help team members do their job. If everyone does their job on time, then the project will complete on time and everyone will be happy.

I've also done a lot of volunteering at my children's schools. I've been involved with the Parent's Association for eight years and been an officer for three of those. I really enjoyed the opportunity to help and be involved. After my position was eliminated and I was laid off, I was able to do a lot of volunteering that I normally wouldn't and it was very satisfying.

I've been doing a lot of networking during my job search. I've met with lots of new and interesting people, who like me, are looking for their next assignment. It gives me lots of pleasure to be able to help them with their search by connecting them with someone at a target company or giving them advice on their search or helping them find information.

I've also had the opportunity to start a blog. The blog talks about how to get money for things you don't want anymore and also talks about saving money. Ultimately, it is my way of sharing what I've learned over the years with a goal of helping others do the same.

It is my goal that as a member of the Bloggin' Noggins I will be able to help people. Yes I want to learn some things for myself, but in the end I want to help people with their blogs. So I've volunteered to be in charge of trying to match new new and challenged bloggers with a BN "expert". Keep your eye out in the Discussions of the LinkedIn Bloggin Noggins group.

Michele Heine

No comments:

Post a Comment